I've moved! You can now find this blog at www.teachingthelittlepeople.com. Please bookmark this new site and come on over!

Saturday, April 28, 2012

Working at the Car Wash in Preschool


We made a car wash today in preschool.  This project is something that I intended to do last week during Transportation week, but I I couldn't quite get it all together then.  Fortunately, we play with our bikes on the playground almost every day, so there's always a need to keep them clean.

The idea for this project first came to me when I first started working with plastic tablecloths for different projects.  They have just the right weight for this kind of project.  They blow nicely in the wind, but still hang down nicely for the kids to drive through them.

I used two dollar store tablecloths for the streamers.  It turned out that the best streamer length for the boxes that I was using was 36", which is one-third of the total length of the tablecloth.


After I folded the tablecloth into thirds, I cut the streamers by aligning all three of my pieces on top of each other and then folding up one edge several times so that I could cut the whole streamer length with one small cut:


Using a paper cutter can be a risky way to cut them, because if you cut too far you will cut the whole length of the tablecloth into single strips (which is not the end of the Plastic Steamer World, but it does make things a bit trickier).  However, when I use the paper cutter for this I cut slowly and stop as soon as I feel the blade cut through the thick folds.

 

When you're done, you should have a long strip of streamers ready to tape on to your box:


My original idea was to use refrigerator boxes for this projects.  I envisioned that I would cut out two sides of the box, creating a tall tunnel for the Little People to drive through.

However, I am finding that locating good, extra-large boxes is much harder in general than it used to be.  In fact, this problem has turned me into somewhat of a Box Stalker, but that's the story for another day.   Fortunately, last week I came across some tall skinny boxes up for grabs at our Teacher Center that I figured would work.

I taped my streamers to one long edge of one box, and both long edges of another (I used clear packing tape for this):


 Here is the trial run with a single archway in my living room:


Because of the size of the car wash, I obviously had to assemble it at school.  I came with the streamers already taped on, and had the kids help me set it up.  I made two archways as shown above for the drive-through part.  As you can see, I had to space the side boxes out as far as possible for the various trikes and wagons to fit through.   I just used duct tape as well as I could to connect these archways together.  I then taped the two boxes on the ground to the arches to give it some stability.


This worked fine, and the Little People loved it. However, when I do it next year, I will definitely work harder to find refrigerator boxes.  The stability of those would have been worth it.  However, on the other hand, using these multiple boxes makes it a little easier to store.  I was able to take the boxes apart to store in our toy shed and promise the kids that we could play Car Wash on Monday, too.

 Here are some of the Little People enjoying the "water spray":





 As a side note, when I got done attaching the steamers to the boxes I had a few extra pieces left.  So I gathered bunches of them together and tied them to make car "polishers".


This and a few other car washing "tools" gave the Little People who were waiting for bikes something to do until it was their turn to get clean.  (You can see below that I provided the dusters that we used when we painted flowers):


Then, to top it all off, I used two tissue boxes and the very last of the streamers to make two car washes for the cars that we play with in our room on the carpet.  That way the Car Wash Fun could continue on even after we went inside:


All in all, it was great fun, and something that I think the Little People will enjoy and remember for quite some time.

18 comments:

  1. My kiddos would love this! Thanks for sharing and visiting me at my blog! I've pinned your idea! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. that looks like so much fun, my on would love to pedal though it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really fun! However, the past few days we were wishing it was set up in the shade... or made of real water! It gets hot working the car wash in the sun!

      Thanks for visiting and commenting.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. We did have a good time. Thanks for visiting and commenting!

      Delete
  4. I love this idea!!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was really fun. Easy, fun, and cheap - a great combination!

      Delete
  5. This looks like so much fun! I'm going to feature this on my blog this Friday for The Weekly Kid's Co-op. Come by, check it out, and grab a button! www.dirtandboogers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will stop by - thanks for including our car wash!

      Delete
  6. Oh my! This is brilliant and such fun fun fun!!!!!

    Thank you for sharing on Kids Get Crafty!

    Maggy & Alissa

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such an awesome idea!!! Its a great activity for the kids on a lazy summer afternoon. If you need ideas or help planning a birthday party a great site is www.funtiqueparties.com.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Howdy dudes! Astonishing stuff keep it up!!
    tyres Reading

    ReplyDelete
  9. These blogs are valuable because these are providing such informative information for all the people.car paint shops in Harrisonburg VA

    ReplyDelete
  10. I could see making it out of PVC pipe with a hose attached. The arched part could have holes drilled and water really could come through! You could attach the streamers to use when you didn't want to have everyone wet. Thanks for sharing such a fun post!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's what I mean...http://lindsayandandrew.blogspot.ca/2011/07/sprinkler.html

      Delete
  11. Nice Blog! Hire Pitstop for Multi Brand Car Repair Car Service Car Wash in Bangalore Delhi Gurgaon.

    ReplyDelete